More Stages of Tobey

We hope everyone had a lovely weekend! Nicholas has been working on Tobey’s painting and I have updated photos of his progress. 聽He is looking so happy, Nicholas is really bringing him to life.

We have been working in the cottage over the weekend on painting with slightly larger brushes! The decorating stage has started and it always takes three times longer than expected. We have been painting our ceiling, which has lots of old joists and so its taken two solid days just to paint in between each joist along with one of Nicholas’ art brushes to paint the beading! 聽Radiators are bing plumbed in today which is another milestone in the renovations.

I will have more stages to show of Tobey soon, along with new packaging photos too!

6 Comments

• wendy sabine August 6, 2017 at 6:22 am

Lovely as usual. You inspire me!

• petportraitartist August 7, 2017 at 10:44 am

Thank you so much Wendy!!! Lovely to hear from you, your work and website is fantastic!! Melanie xx

• Hilary Twigg August 6, 2017 at 6:22 am

Hope the painting doesn’t take as long to dry as oils!! I used acrylic titanium white to paint wooden piping housing in a bathroom last week, and texture paste instead of wood filler – looks great! It wasn’t as much faff as looking for filler that hadn’t ‘gone off’ /paint brushes that weren’t rock hard or opening an old tin of emulsion to find it had formed an impenetrable skin!

• petportraitartist August 7, 2017 at 10:46 am

Hi Hilary, It sounds as though you have been really busy decorating too! I know all too well about stiff brushes and paint thats gone off lol. We have had to buy some new pots for the decorating. Its coming along well though….but doesn’t it always take longer than expected!!! 馃榾 Hope your bathroom looks fab!
      Melanie x

• Donald Kite August 6, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Hi Melanie & Nicholas,
    Your work is incredible and I know it has made your clients so happy in profound ways. It is also inspiring and humbling to artists like me. Was wondering if you use the grid system to lay down basic shapes to begin a painting? Thanks kindly.

• petportraitartist August 7, 2017 at 10:53 am

Hi Donald,

Thank you so much for commenting on our blog, we are thrilled that you love our work.

I wrote a long comment recently on drawing and techniques. Ill add the link below so you can have a read. It was after I did a double page spread in a drawing and painting magazine and was asked a very similar question on the blog by another budding artist.

I think if you are going to use the grid system, don’t rely on it fully. Once you have drawn it out using the grid, then stand back and look at the drawing as a whole and work on it as ‘one’, rather than just concentrating on each square separately. This will help it to flow and not be disjointed.

Best of luck with your artwork!

Melanie x